Established in 1880, the Stevens School District #19 school taught grades 1 - 8 until about 1912. This was the first schoolhouse in Tyler.
The Stevens School
District #19 was established in 1880. The school held 1st through 8th grades.
The district was renamed to Tyler along with the renaming of the town in 1892.
Directors of the
school in 1904 were Henry Boston, James E. Carmen, James Abbott, and John
In 1911 the school
board was advocating for a new school at a new site, or extensive remodeling of
the current site. The board gave its reasons,
sanitary conditions demand it, there being two barns and four outhouses within
fifty or one hundred feet from the school building, with two manure piles and a
cesspool drained through the school yard. Second, the school grounds are small,
so small that there is not room for play, without using the street on two
sides. Third, and most important, the building must be enlarged to accommodate
the high school for the next year or a room rented somewhere else and furnished
for school use.
The board and
citizens did decide to erect a new, larger, schoolhouse for their students at
the north end of B Street.