The home, which Boynton called the Temple of Wings, was designed by Bernard Maybeck in 1911. After some disagreements with Maybeck, the home was completed by A. Randolph Monro in 1914. It was an incredible home: two huge domes held aloft by thirty-two Corinthian columnns which were two stories tall. The home was built without walls, but with large canvas curtains that could be lowered in the event of inclement weather. Otherwise, aside from strategically placed trees, the Boynton family lived in close communion with nature. Inside, the home was filled with Greek-style furniture and sculptures that were chipped and broken to give the impression of being authentic ancient pieces. The inside of the domes that served as the home's roof were painted with celestial bodies.
The remarkable home burned in the 1923 wildfire, leaving only the columnns. When the Boyntons rebuilt their home, they built a more conventional two-story walled structure within the framework of the columnns. The new home was built around a large central courtyard and included two large rooms that served as dance studios.
Florence Boynton taught modern dance in her home for years, along with one of her daughters and a son-in-law. The Boyntons eventually had eight children, and even in Berkeley, were regarded as eccentric--both for their unusual home and their unorthodox lifestyle.