Ozark Wesleyan College (former), now Congregation of the Mother of the Redeemer, 1900 South Grand Avenue
This structure was used in 1924-32 by Ozark Wesleyan College and then by Ozark Junior College in 1934-35. The National Youth Administration Carthage Program for Girls occupied the main administration building during 1936-37 for a New Deal program to prepare girls for college. After being vacant a few years, Our Lady of the Ozarks, a Catholic school for boys, opened in 1944 and expanded the buildings on campus (gymnasium and chapel) until operations ceased in 1971. Today, the Congregation of the Mother of the Redeemer ministers to Vietnamese-American Catholics throughout America and beyond. They have added an auditorium and retirement facility for priests. The congregation is most noted locally for their annual Marian Days Celebration in early August and their Christmas light display that covers most of their property
Powers Museum Vertical Files: Ozark Weselyan College, NYA in Carthage, Marian Days.
Utter, Wade and Hansford, Michele Newton for Powers Museum. Images of America: Carthage, Missouri 1940-1990. Charleston SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2013.