Jeremiah Woolsey House
Backstory and Context
Jeremiah Woolsey constructed this building in 1765, merely a few years prior to the American Revolution. The building is known for its Dutch Colonial style, which is easily recognizable from its design and furnishings.
During the Revolutionary War, Jeremiah Woolsey supported the American cause by serving as the commissioner to recruit men in New Jersey for the Continental Army. In 1780, he also successfully acquired food for the army, for which he received 37 pounds sterling at George Washington's request.The Woolsey family continued to occupy the house and remained an influential force in township affairs until 1929, when the last of the family chose to move out. The house is currently a private home, and thus isn’t open to the genera public. It still stands, over 200 years later, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Photo: Jerrye & Roy Klotz, MD, via Wikimedia Commons