MacLean House, Princeton University
Now home to the offices of the Alumni Association of Princeton, the MacLean House was once the residence of Princeton University's president, vice president, and dean. (Prior to 1896, Princeton was known as the College of New Jersey). The house was built in 1756 and designed by Robert Smith in the Georgian style. Home to many famous intellectuals and twice the temporary quarters of George Washington, the home has been preserved in a manner that has allowed it to retain many aspects of its original appearance. The historic home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is also a National Historic Landmark.
Backstory and Context
The college presidents lived here from 1756-1879, except for the period from 1779-1794 when Witherspoon's son-in-law and college vice president lived here. From 1879-1968 the house was the residence of the college (and later Princeton) deans. The alumni association was established in 1826.
Snell, Charles. "MacLean House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. July 17, 1971. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/04b9ea1e-888c-41e7-8e53-3cadf10f0162.