Thomas Shepherd Gristmill
207 E High. A two story stone mill built c. 1738. About 1835, a wooden third story was added. Sometime in the 19th century, a huge overshot wheel of 12 tons and 40 feet in diameter was built, positioned some 200 feet north of the mill in the Town Run. A sluice, supported on trestles, carried water from the southeast corner of Princess and High streets and discharged it onto the top of the wheel. In 1905, the wheel was moved to its present location. The mill operated until 1941. The mill is privately owned and closed to the public.
Backstory and Context
The gristmill was built near the Pack Horse Ford crossing of the Potomac. The gristmill was erected on High Street and was the first of many mills in the area. The building is more than 200 years old.