In 1882, Hamilton and his wife bought 21 acres in Santa Clara County and built the home on Bascom Avenue. The land largely consisted of orchards at the time, and following his retirement from the whaling business, Hamilton became one of the most active horticulturalists in the area.
Aside from its historical significance as the home of a prominent San Jose resident, the home is also architecturally significant. It is a well-preserved example of a Queen Anne farmhouse, and the only one still extant on Bascom Avenue. The home was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.