Clio Logo

The Wall Science Building is a part of Mars Hill University, a private liberal arts institution grounded in the Christian faith. The building was designed by Henry Irven Gaines in October 1939 and completed and dedicated in 1940, a year after the groundbreaking of the building. The Wall Science Building was named to honor Charles Moses Wall, who lived from 1867 to 1944. Wall was a trustee and the chairman of the building grounds committee at Mars Hill University.


  • Charles M. Wall Science Building following construction.
  • Trustee and Mrs. Charles M. Wall, namesakes of the Wall Science Building.

The Charles M. Wall Science Building was built as part of Mars Hill University in 1940. The university, a private Christian college focusing on the liberal arts, was founded in 1856. It is the oldest higher learning institution in western North Carolina that remains on its original site.

Mars Hill College was historically one of the premiere two-year private colleges in the United States. In 1962, the college was converted to four-year status after a period of growth and development. The college continued to expand both in enrollment and the variety of programs offered, leading the institution to change its name to Mars Hill University in 2013.

The Wall Science Building was designed by Henry Irven Gaines, a partner of the Asheville architectural firm Six Associates. The building is named after Charles Moses Wall, a benefactor of many Baptist institutions including Mars Hill University. Wall was both a trustee and chairman of the building and grounds committee at Mars Hill.

1. Hood, Davyd Foard. Mars Hill College Historic District Nomination for National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service, 2006.

2. Mars Hill University. Accessed June 07, 2019. https://www.mhu.edu/.

3. Charles M. Wall Science Building. PocketSights. . Accessed June 07, 2019. https://pocketsights.com/tours/place/Charles-M-Wall-Science-Building-21273.