Their school, the College of Notre Dame, opened on August 4, 1851, and was located on Santa Clara Street. The nuns operated both a day school and a college. The school was open to both Catholic and non-Catholic students, and they accepted children from both Native American and European American families. The college became California's first chartered female college in 1868. It remains the oldest all-girl high school west of the Mississippi.