Brainerd Mission Cemetery
Backstory and Context
Brainerd Mission played an important role in the “Christianizing” of the Cherokee Indians before their removal. A photo of a monument, “Site of Brainerd Mission to the Cherokee Indians,” is available for viewing on this Clio. The Brainerd Mission Cemetery’s oldest grave is from year 1821, however the cemetery was created in 1817.2
Brainerd Mission, established in 1817, closed in 1853 due to the Cherokee Indian removal. It is one of the oldest cemeteries in Hamilton County. Along with the five local chapters of the D.A.R. and the John Sevier Chapter of the S.A.R. (Sons of the American Revolution) this historical cemetery is maintained and owned. The D.A.R. is an organization of women who focus on “…patriotic historical and genealogical…objectives of historic preservation, education, and patriotism…” 1
Although there are 60 graves in Brainerd Mission belonging to Indians and Missionaries, the tombstones have no writing. A list of Brainerd Missionaries is available through the below link provided on Clio.