Little is known about the man who gave his namesake to this historic building. It is thought that the original owner, Frederick D. Stadtmuller, made his fortune in the Nevada metal industry before making his way to San Francisco around 1879. He didn't mine for gold and silver ores himself, instead, he sold good and equipment to the miners themselves. His home was constructed some time after that by architect P. R. Schmidt in one of the most prosperous neighbourhoods of the day. The house stayed in the family until the mid 1900s when it was converted into a rooming house. After a decade or so the property was converted back into a family residence and still remains to this day.