Justus Ramsey House
Tucked back off the street as part of a neighboring restaurant’s patio space, is the Justus Ramsey House. Built in 1851, this building is one of the oldest remaining structures in St. Paul. The small stone residence had just two rooms. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in April of 1975.
Backstory and Context
Justus Ramsey was the brother of Alexander Ramsey, a Minnesota Governor and United States Secretary of War. Justus moved to St. Paul in 1849. He was the secretary of the first St. Paul Mason’s Lodge and a charter member of the St. Paul International Order of Odd Fellows’ Lodge Number 2. He later died of what was ruled a suicide.
City of St. Paul website, accessed May 4, 2017. https://www.stpaul.gov/DocumentCenter/View4/79236.pdf
Library of Congress website, accessed May 4, 2017. http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/mn0019/
Minnesota Legislative Reference Library website, accessed May 4, 2017. https://www.leg.state.mn.us/legdb/fulldetail?ID=14453