Avenue of Oaks, St. Simmons Island
Planted by Anna Paige King in 1826, the Avenue of Oaks is a historic grove that has stood for almost two centuries. The trees form a double row that now lead to the Sea Island Gold Club. The trees are a reminder of the island's importance to the shipbuilding industry in the 18th and early 19th centuries. Oak trees from St. Simmons were used in the construction of the USS Constitution, the frigate that was completed in 1794.
The Avenue of the Oaks