The Milwaukee Road Depot and Freight House was built from 1897-99 to meet the growing demands of railroad expansion and the city’s industrial and commercial sectors. Architect Charles Frost designed the depot. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Today The Depot stands a reminder of the railroading days of the past as well as a mixed-used commercial space.
Initially, the depot was the end of the line for the
Chicago, Milwaukee, Saint Paul and Pacific Railroad Company. It’s a three-story
Renaissance Revival structure with arched doorways, marble floors and carved
wood ceilings. Behind the station was a long-span steel truss-roofed train
shed. This shed is one of only 12 remaining ones in the United States.
The last train left the depot in 1971. In 1998, the city
sold it to developers who turned it into the mixed-used complex it is today.
Notably, it is the home to a pair of hotels, the Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel,
The Depot and Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot. The Depot is
also home to Milwaukee Road restaurant. The Depot also serves as a popular meeting
and special event special as well as parking spot for area events.