The Gluek Building was built in 1902. The architects were Christopher Boehme and Victor Cordella, who chose a Renaissance Revival style. Gluek Brewing Company was founded in 1857 by Gottlieb Gluek, before Minneapolis was a city. It grew quickly and the bar and restaurant was built in 1902 primarily to serve customers Gluek beer.
It is a narrow, three-story brick building. It remains home
to Gluek’s Restaurant & Bar, which officially began in its present form in
1934 after the repeal of Prohibition. The building caught on fire in 1989 but
has been restored to its original condition. It is the oldest restaurant in
Visitors, who will need a reservation to eat, should note
the elaborate woodwork, brick walls, high arched ceilings and stained glass
windows. The restaurant frequently hosts private parties and live music. The
Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission designated the building as a local
historic site in 1984.