The classes were held on the first floor, and the second floor was used a gymnasium and auditorium. As the school population increased, the school officials were forced into making both floors into classrooms. During the 1930s the average enrollment was about 40 students. During the spring of 1948 a bond was passed to build a new school better suited to fit for more students.
In 1959 due to the need for more recreation space in Coralville, the first floor of the school house was converted into a teen center until the city built their recreation center in 1966. Where the building went back to being a storage facility
In 1974, the title to the property was acquired by Coralville. A 50-year lease was signed. The Johnson county Historical Society began restoration on the building in order to turn it into a museum. In 1976 the 1876 Coralville Schoolhouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.