Country Doctor Museum
Backstory and Context
The Country Doctor Museum campus is made up of three buildings. Hour long guided tours take guests through each building. The Farmer Annex is the start of the tour with the Gift Shop and Library. Exhibits are changed periodically in the library including some of the Nursing collection.
The original museum building, the Freeman-Brantley building, is made up of 2 doctor's offices that were moved to Bailey in 1967. This building contains 3 rooms of artifacts related to pharmacy, medical school training, surgery, and 'sick room' care of the early 1900's. The medicinal herb garden is located behind this building and contains over 50 herbs and plants historically used in medicine.
The Carriage House contains the transportation collection including Model T Fords and buggies, a variety of medicine bags, and a Polio exhibit.
Since 2003 the museum has been managed by East Carolina University and is part of the Laupus Health Science Library.