In 1893, a guardhouse known as Gatelodge was built at the Johnston Gate. Gatelodge was designed by Graham Gund, whose father is from whom George Gund Hall takes its name. It cost a sum of $57,000 to build and was intended to house the security guard who, prior to its construction, would sit in a car in front of the gate. The guardhouse and gate are amongst the most widely photographed locations on campus.
The wrought iron gate is designed in the Georgian Colonial Revival Style, matching nearby structures such as Massachusetts and Harvard Hall. Johnston Gate represents the first use of Harvard water-stuck brick which replicates the brickwork of the Puritan era. It features a large main gate and a smaller gate to the right with ornate iron detail work. The cross at the apex symbolizes Harvard's historical roots as a training school for ministers. Additionally, the brick pillars flanking the gate bear the state seal on the left and the seal of the university on the right. There are also two stone inscriptions, which read as follows:
After God had carried us safe to New England/ and wee had builded our houses/ provided necessaries for our liveli hood/ reard convenient places for Gods worship/ and setled the civill government/ one of the next things we longed for/ and looked after was to advance learning/ and perpetuate it to posterity/ dreading to leave an illiterate minister/ to the churches when our present ministers/ shall lie in the dust.
New Englands First Fruits.1
The famous inscription above the gate reads ENTER TO GROW IN WISDOM.2