Located on a narrow sliver of land at the intersection of Broadway and Telegraph Avenue, the Cathedral Building is one of the most striking buildings in Oakland. Originally known as the Federal Realty Building, the structure got its nickname because of its terra cotta spires which resemble a Gothic cathedral.
Backstory and Context
The Cathedral Building was considered to be one of the finest examples of the Gothic Revival architectural style, and at the time of its construction, it was the first Gothic Revival high-rise west of the Mississippi River.
After sitting empty for several years, the building has recently been transformed into high-end condominiums and office space. In 2015, a Bay-area artist, Zo Ziegler was commissioned to create a mural on the building's north-facing wall that commemorates the signing of the United Nations charter in 1945.
The Cathedral Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.