The mansion would be willed to James Dooley's sisters, though they would quickly sell it to the Valley Corporation of Richmond, who converted the home into a country club by 1929. However, it would only stay open for three years before closing in 1932. During the Great Depression and World War II, it would lay empty. In 1948, it would be leased to Walter Russell for fifty years to house the University of Science and Philosophy.
The estate has been deteriorating for some time, though renovation efforts have not been made. The building has also gained a reputation for being haunted, drawing paranormal investigation groups such as the Twisted Paranormal Society. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.