Pavilion IV is situated on the East side of the Lawn. Like the other pavilions, it was designed by Jefferson and represents a specific architectural order; in this case, the Doric order. Its design was inspired by the depiction of the Doric Order of the Temple of Albano in Roland Freart de Chambray's Parallele. Originally, it featured a three-bay temple-front with a central door. The door was relocated to the south end during a renovation. The triple-sash walk-out windows are similar to those used at Monticello. In 1984, this pavilion received the Charles E. Peterson Prize, First Place.
This structure was intended to serve as faculty housing and a lecture hall. The first occupant of Pavilion IV was a professor of Modern Languages, George Blaetterman. He is notorious for shirking his duties, constructing a smokehouse in the yard, and for painting Pavilion IV red. Blaetterman was excused from his position in 1838. From 1904 to 1948 the building housed the office of the University's president. Since 1948, however, it has been a faculty residence.
Behind the structure is a boxwood garden planted by Professor Schele de Vere.