James A. Walsh United States Courthouse aka U.S. Post Office and Courthouse
Named after Tucson's only federal judge between 1952-1981, the James A. Walsh United States Courthouse is a historic building constructed in 1930. It was designed in the Classical Revival style and includes elements of the Mission style as represented in the tiled hipped roof. Today, the building serves as a U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
Backstory and Context
Tuscon had been vying for a federal courthouse since 1910. The Treasury Department stalled, however, and in the coming years Americans decried Washington's spending habits. The city bought the property and a gas station was built there. Finally in 1928 the money was approved to build the courthouse.
2. Clayton Fraser, "Post Office and Courthouse." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places. February 10, 1983. Accessed April 26, 2017.