Backstory and Context
Hammond B. Safford (1837-1908) & Rolland P. Havens (1844-1883) formed a partnership in 1865, following Havens’s service in the Civil War and Safford’s period of time working as a clerk in Milton Packard’s store. The pair opened a department store in the west side of the Miner Block, selling fabric, cloaks, underclothing, shawls, carpets, oilcloths, and other items. Havens married Lucretia M. Safford, his partner’s sister; on Havens’s death, Lucretia took his place as partner. By 1900, the younger generation - Rolland Safford (1875-1932) and Rollin Havens (?-1908) - was more heavily involved with the company.
Myron Meservey (1859-1927) ran a butter market, which he moved into the Safford & Havens basement in 1898; he also ran an insurance office in R. A. McGee's store across the street. He died of a heart attack in the Collegiate Tea Room on Main St. in 1927, leaving his wife, Carrie Barker Meservey (1859-1956), and daughter, Harriette Meservey Martin (1896-1944), about $200,000.