El Paso & Southwestern Railroad Depot
Built in 1912, the El Paso & Southwestern Railroad Depot is a fine example of Beaux Arts and Neo-Classical architecture. The EP&S railroad company was owned by the Phelps Dodge Corporation, which was a successful copper mining business. Its owner, Walter Douglass, decided to extend the railroad to Tucson to better reach the company's mining operations. Perhaps its most striking feature is the rotunda with a stained-glass dome. It does not appear to be open to the public or have any establishment as of early 2017, but two Mexican restaurants were located here beginning in 1978 and operated through at least the mid-2000s. Passenger service ended in 1924 when the Southwest Railroad merged with EP&S but freight service continued until 1936. The depot was used for storage and mostly abandoned until it was bought by Allan Norville, the man who opened the two restaurants.
"El Paso & Southwestern Depot and Park." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed March 9, 2017. http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?MarkerID=83028.
Jeffery, R. Brooks. "El Paso & Southwestern Railroad Depot." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places. March 12, 2004. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/1908b5f6-168e-4fbc-8cff-394b869a978f.
Photo: Downton Tucson