The Morristown Gateway Museum preserves and collects artifacts tied to the town's history, and is a center for community activities
Backstory and Context
In 1910, the Comstock family, owners of the Indian Root factory, built a hall on Main Street with a magnificent stage, which became the social center for the town. In the early 1920s, the building was sold to the village for offices and a polling place. Over the years, the building that now houses the Gateway Museum has been a fire extinguisher factory, fire department and a furniture store. In 2003, the building was purchased to house the Gateway Museum. Using funds generously donated by local citizens and money from New York State agency grants, the building has been renovated and is, once again, a center for community cultural activities.