Philip Chapin House
Designed by A.G. Kellogg, the Philip Chapin House was built in the north Italian Renaissance style in 1867. It features extensive ornamental details, including cornice brackets, carvings, paneling, and the columnns supporting the roof of the veranda. Inside, the home contains eight Italian marble fireplaces, a copper bathtub encased in mahogany, and a spacious ballroom. Philip Chapin (1838-1915) came from a prominent business family and founded the Chapin Machinery Company, a manufacturing business specializing in knitting machines.
Backstory and Context
In 1828, Hermon Chapin opened a factory, which produced planes and machine-stamped rules, and soon became successful. In the 1860s, his son Philip Chapin established the Chapin Machine Company, a manufacturer that focused on producing knitting machines. Soon afterward, he married and began work on his house. From 1878 to 1880, however, his business struggled, and was bought out by his brother. Philip later opened a bolt factory in Ohio and an iron company in Pennsylvnia. He then moved to Washington D.C. and Paris.
"Philip Chapin House." Living Places. Accessed March 02, 2017. http://www.livingplaces.com/CT/Litchfield_County/New_Hartford_Town/Philip_Chapin_House.html.