Clio Logo
The Confederate Soldier Monument was erected May 30, 1907. The Statue was made Frederick William Sievers who also designed the Virginia Monument in Gettysburg and made the Jackson and Maury monuments in Richmond.

The location of the monument used to be where the old Washington County Courthouse was located until it was burned down. On December 14, 1864 Federal General George Stoneman burned it to the ground after making a raid from East Tennessee into Southwest Virginia.