Lytle Park Historic District is located in one of the oldest parts of Cincinnati. It was created in 1976 and added to the National Register of Historic Places. It contains Lytle Park, the first park created above an interstate highway, and several historic buildings including the Baum Mansion (what is now the Taft Museum), the Anna Louise Inn, and Christ Church Cathedral. Some of these other properties are themselves listed on the National Register. The architectural styles they exhibit are Georgian, Greek Revival, and Italianate. Lytle Park was dedicated in 1907. It features an 11-foot tall statue of Abraham Lincoln, who visited Cincinnati and gave a speech at Fountain Square. The statue was installed in 1917 and among those who attended the dedication ceremony was former President Howard Taft. Near the statue is a Marine Corps memorial which was dedicated in 1921. Also located in the park is a wall featuring several small interpretive signs providing short historical snippets about Cincinnati, including one about the Lincoln statue.


  • The statue of Abraham Lincoln was dedicated in 1917.
    The statue of Abraham Lincoln was dedicated in 1917.

Lytle Park was the location of Fort Washington, which was built in 1789 to protect the Northwest Territory from Indian attacks. It was torn down in 1803. The park is named after the Lytle family who owned a homestead here beginning in the early 1800s. The Lytles were among the first settlers in the area. 

"Lytle Park." Historical Marker Database. Accessed March 1, 2017. http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=24876.

Swift, Cindy. "A Walk Through History - The Phelps Building & Lytle Park, Cincinnati, Ohio | Marriott." Residence Inn Cincinnati Downtown. http://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/c/cvgcd/cvgcd_pdf/History%20Booklet%203-8-11.pdf

Photo: Wikimedia Commons