Plum Street Temple
Plum Street Temple was built in 1866 and is still used by the same congregation, now called Isaac M. Wise Temple.
Historical Marker for Plum Street Temple
Backstory and Context
The congregation is named after one of its early rabbis, Isaac M. Wise (1879-1900), the man responsible for starting the American Reform Judaism movement. He served as rabbi for the congregation for 54 years beginning in 1854. Wise also founded the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (1873), the Hebrew Union College (1875), and the Central Conference of American Rabbis (1889). Rabbis are still ordained at the Plum Street Temple. It was here in 1972 that the first female rabbi, Sally Priesand, was ordained.
"History of Plum Street Temple."Isaac M. Wise Temple. Accesed February 27, 2017. https://www.wisetemple.org/about-us/temple-history/history-of-plum-street-temple.
Pitts, Carolyn. "Plum Street Temple." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. December 27, 1972. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/2c1c3345-d6b0-4d6f-bb7c-60e584155315
Photo: Wikimedia Commons