Built in 1754 by Isaac Hollingsworth, Abram's Delight is the oldest house in Winchester. The Hollingsworth family had lived in the region as far back as 1729, acquiring the land in 1732. The property would remain in the Hollingsworth family until 1943, when it was purchased by the City of Winchester. It would be added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Backstory and Context
Abram's Delight would remain in the Hollingsworth family for nearly two hundred years, passing from parent to children. The last to actually live in the house would be Annie Hollingsworth (1844-1930). As she had no children of her own, she would cede control of the house to her cousins, moving out between 1910 and 1920. The house would remain empty for nearly thirty years, until it was purchased by the city of Winchester in 1943.
The building has 2 1/2 stories made out of limestone. Isaac Hollingsworth was responsible for building the majority of the house, though his son Jonah would make an addition on the west side of the building. Johah would also be responsible for install a lake on the property and constructing a summer house. Jonah's son David added further still onto the west side, though it is long gone. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. National Parks Service. http://www.dhr.Virginia.gov/registers/Cities/Winchester/138-0029_Abram%27s_Delight_1973_Final_Nomination.pdf.