Historical Marker: Plantation of Pierre Denis De La Ronde (1762-1824)
Located in a median on St. Bernard Highway, this marker indicates the location of a large plantation house built by Pierre Denis De La Ronde (1762-1824) built in the early 19th century. All that remains of the house and plantation are the ruins, which are situated on the opposite end of the median. Across the street from the ruins to the south is another historical marker indicating the location of what are the Versaille Oaks. De La Ronde planted these trees in 1783 and they used to run all the way to the Mississippi. De La Ronde is most known for his role as Colonel of the Third Louisiana Regiment during the War of 1812. A night skirmish of that war was fought on his plantation and adjacent ones in December 1814. The British used the main house as a headquarters and hospital on January 8, 1815, the day of the Battle of New Orleans, which resulted in a decisive American victory.
"Versaille Oaks." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed January 30, 2017. http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?MarkerID=99230.
Photos: The Historical Marker Database