The King Lumber Company was founded in 1899 by Walter King. Building materials manufactured by King Lumber were used throughout the United States, including in many buildings at the University of Virginia. In 1920, the King Lumber Company, which employed over 300 people, was the largest industrial concern in the city; the annual payroll amounted to over $400,000. Owing to the Great Depression and the suicide of the owner, however, the business closed in the 1930s. The warehouse is the only structure remaining from the King Lumber properties.
Located next to the railroad tracks, the King Lumber Company Warehouse served as a large lumber processing and distribution center. It is a three-story, three-bay, three bay by five bay brick building brick building; the brick is layed in 6-course American bond. This imposing structure features architectural elements such as a low gable roof, stepped gables, corbeled cornice stops, and a wheel window in the gable end. On the third floor is a large, 5-foot-wide cast iron gear (patented in Baltimore in the late 1800s) that was once used to operate a freight elevator. The elevator lifted logs of wood to the top of the building.
The King Lumber Company Warehouse was added to the NRHP August 10, 1983 and designated a VLR on October 20, 1981. In 2015, restoration work began on the former warehouse as part of an urban redevelopment effort. The structure now serves as office and commercial space.