Broad Street Christian Church
The Broad Street Christian Church was built in the Arts and Crafts and Mission styles in 1907. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The church’s final service took place in 2009 after the congregation set up the Broad Street Christian Church Legacy Fund. Today, the building is home to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.
Backstory and Context
The Broad Street Christian Church was organized in 1870 and originally located on Third and Gay Streets. This first church was known as “Old Central.” Their next church was built in 1907 on East Broad Street and designed by Wilbur T. Mills. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 16, 1986.
The departure of the church’s full-time pastor in 2007 was followed by a period of interim pastors and declining attendance. Instead of trying to save the church, the congregation decided to set up a legacy fund that would continue the church’s tradition of public service. The Broad Street Legacy Fund chose five ministries as beneficiaries: Camp Christian of the Ohio Region, Southside Community Ministries (a community food bank), Amethyst Incorporated (an addiction program for women in the Columbus area), Reconciliation Ministries of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the Cleveland Christian Home.3 The church’s closing worship was held December 27, 2009.
3. Broad Street Christian Church. Christian Church Foundation. May 10, 2017. Accessed September 21, 2018. https://www.christianchurchfoundation.org/news/2017/5/10/broad-street-christian-church.
4. Ohio Historic Places Dictionary. Vol. 2. North American Book Dist LLC, 2008. Via Google Books.