On February 8, 1900, a group of twenty-nine women from Weatherford, Texas organized the Twentieth Century Club. Later that same year the club was federated as an affiliate of the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs. Since its beginnings, the club’s membership has bettered the community through four areas: world affairs, fine arts, home science, and green thumb. The clubhouse has been the site of political forums, weddings, anniversaries, and recitals. A historical marker was placed in front of the clubhouse, honoring its members and their activities throughout the community, in 2010.
The Twentieth Century Club of Texas is the oldest
federated women’s club, established over one hundred years ago. It is an entirely benevolent organization whose
goal is to give back to the community through donation and action. What began as an organization of twenty-nine
women from Weatherford, Texas is still in existence today.1
Less than a year after its organization, the Twentieth
Century Club was federated as an affiliate of the Texas Federation of Women’s
Clubs (TFWC). The TFWC is the largest
voluntary association of women in the state and is completely non-profit. Its purpose is to combine the efforts of
women’s clubs for the improvement of education, home life, public affairs, the
arts, and Texas heritage.2
For the first several years of the Twentieth Century
Club’s existence, the group met in the homes of its members. In 1916, they purchased the property on the
corner of Main and Lee street to build the clubhouse where meetings are still
held today. The structure was completed
in 1923, and provided the club with a meeting room, a kitchen, and a
restroom. In 1941 a library and a
meeting room with an enlarged stage were added.
During World War II, the club hosted a USO club for troops from nearby
The role and membership of the Twentieth Century Club and
the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs have changed over time. In the early 1900s membership consisted
largely of homemakers and teachers.
Today’s clubwomen include several women who work outside of the
home. Although it continues its efforts
in public affairs, many of their original projects have become government responsibilities.
The group provides local scholarships, books and school supplies to the Weatherford
Independent School District, and supports a different community organization each
month such as Meals on Wheels and Dental Health for Parker County.4