In 1847 New York millwright and speculator Pliney Pierce built this mill adjacent to the rapidly falling waters of Devils River. First constructed as a sawmill, Rock Mill was quickly converted to a gristmill after the area's available timber was depleted. Serving mostly local German, Czech and Irish immigrant farmers, Rock Mill ground as many as 118 bags of grain a day and produced wheat, rye and graham flour and animal feed. The mill functioned as the social center of rural life here for almost 90 years, ceasing operation in 1934.
Rock Mill Sign