Log Cabin at Ritter Park
Uphill from Ritter Park's tennis courts, across the street from its dog park and near the entrance to the Ritter Park Amphitheater, sits an 18th Century log cabin that was rebuilt in the 1920s to be used as a meeting house for the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). A Revolutionary War cannon sits outside the cabin. Originally, it was said to have been a vineyard-keeper's house at Beuhring Farm, which was located between the Ohio River and Fourpole Creek in the early 1800s, before the city of Huntington was founded in 1871. The home was at one time a place where sick townspeople were quarantined when they came down with the flu.
Backstory and Context
Major Nathaniel Scales was a relative by marriage to the early settles of Guyandotte, and earned The Savage Land Grant for serving as an officer in the French and Indian War. The Savage Land Grant was given to soldiers of the French and Indian War by the state of Virginia. Scales was granted the land that is now Huntington, and created a plantation. George Lewis Beuhring was a German immigrant who moved to America when he was 14 in 1805, and later served in the War of 1812. The Beuhring family purchased Scales' plantation in 1837. The plantation property extended from 7th Street to 11th Street along the Ohio River, and past the hills of what is now Ritter Park.The log cabin in Ritter Park was once home to the keeper of the Beuhring Vineyards.
Today the cabin is headquarters for the Daughters of the American Revolution: Buford Chapter. When the DAR acquired the cabin, it was deteriorating beyond repair, and decided to begin preservation and restoration efforts to save the cabin. Architect Sydney Day designed the cabin's remodeling in the Early Colonial style, completed in 1922 with materials that could be salvaged from the original cabin.The cabin's great room is furnished with antiques, and the DAR still hold meetings in the cabin today.