Elkin's founder, Richard Gwyn, built Gwyn School-Elkin Chapel around 1850 so his family and other settlers on the north side of the Yadkin River would not have to cross the river to attend church and school in Jonesville. The building is the oldest in Surry County to have been used as either a church or school. Threatened by demolition in 1953, it was saved by the Jonathan Hunt Chapter of the D.A.R. with the assistance of Chatham Manufacturing Company and converted to a local history museum. Items on display at the Museum include farm tools, domestic artifacts, textiles, a weaving loom, photographs, and documents. It is located at 129 Church St beside the Foothills Arts Council.