By the time Ford arrived the land had reverted to back to marshes. Mosquitos thrived and as a result malaria was a major problem. To eradicate the disease, Ford established clinics and hired doctors and nurses. Ford also established schools, a sawmill, and machine shops. For African Americans, this included a grammar school, high school, and night classes for adults. Eventually, people lived in a village comprised of 170 houses, which they built themselves, on the plantation. When Ford died in 1947, his grandson did not continue these endeavors and closed down the facilities in 1951. The property had several owners in the coming decades, including Saudi businessman Gaith Pharaon, who had the golf course built in the 1980s. In 1998, it was bought by Sterling and Bluff Associates who established the community we see today.