DeLand Memorial Hospital and Military Museum
Located in the Bill Dreggors Park, the DeLand Memorial Hospital and Military Museum consists of two historic former hospital buildings—Memorial Hospital and the Burgess Building—constructed in the 1920s. The museum features several exhibits in both buildings. In the Memorial building, exhibits include a recreated 1920s operating room, a mock pharmacy, a military room featuring WWI and WWII memorabilia on display donated by local families, and an electrical appliance room. The other building includes a black heritage exhibit and a large collection of toy elephants that once belonged to a collector named Henry Conrad. The park features walking paths, a playground, and a butterfly garden.
Backstory and Context
Before the Burgess Building was constructed, local blacks had to be treated in doctor's offices. Even after it was built, the facility did not have the equipment for surgeries, so that had to be wheeled over from the Memorial Building (or sometimes surgery took place in the basement or after hours). This policy was changed in the 1930s, allowing blacks to be operated on in the Memorial Building. The hospital closed in 1948 when a new one was built.
Walton, R. Douglas. "Old Memorial Hospital Building." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 27, 1989. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/7bc129ef-70f1-4f28-84e2-ccd3c8dc48b8.