Constructed in 1890 by the renowned Bostonian firm, Andrews, Jaques and Rantou (who also designed the nearby Equitable Building), the Boston Building is an elegant building that exhibits a fusion of Renaissance Revival and Richardsonian Romanesque architectural styles. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is part of the Downtown Denver Historic District.
Building was constructed during the so-called “silver crash”, otherwise known
as the Denver Depression, which took place between 1892 and 1893. In the midst
of the economic crisis, the Boston Building Company sought to construct an
elegant space to be used as offices for the city;s richest companies. A site
was purchased on the corner of Seventeenth and Champa streets, on a plot of
land previously occupied by Wolfe Hall (constructed in 1867, this was the
largest female seminary in the American West).
The old school building was demolished in 1889, and construction of the
offices was completed the following year.
The building was quickly filled with a number of successful and affluent
real estate offices, insurance and investment companies, and other businesses,
including the Postal Telegraph and Cable Company, the Colorado Midland Railroad
Company, the Colorado Coal and Iron Company, the Denver Land and Water Storage
Company; and the Security Abstract and Rating Company.
story high building is built in a cube-block form with rusticated Grenlee red
sandstone from Manitou Springs, Colorado. The exterior featured an ornate
cornice, embellished with carved heads. Entrance to the building was from 17th
Street via three carved arches topped by a red sandstone balcony. The interior
spaces feature high, pressed-tin ceilings, exposed brick walls with vaulted
doors and round arcaded windows, some with stained glass panes. One
contemporary historian, Jerome Smiley, described it as being the earliest
“strictly modern office building” made in the city.
ownership of the building came under the Dome Investment Company, of which Claude
K. Boettcher was a key partner. In 1968 his stock brokerage firm, the Boettcher
Company, purchased the building and made use of it as their office space.
However, the sandstone building experienced much weathering over the years, and
required renovation in the late 1990s. The original cornice and entrance
balcony were removed during these renovations, and the original rusticated
sandstone was made smooth. Nonetheless, many of its original features remain in
an excellent state of preservation. Today the building stands out amongst the
surrounding twenty first century skyscrapers. Following the late twentieth
century renovations the building was used for residential and mixed retail