Rose Hill Farm
The farm house in 2007 ((By Jerrye & Roy Klotz, MD (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons))
Backstory and Context
In 1820, Rose Hill Farm was built for settler Amos Denham, who operated a tavern at Rose Hill for some time. Amos died in 1833, leaving the farm to be surveyed for its value and subsequently divided up and all given to Amos’s wife, Amy Denham. Amy retained ownership of the land until she died in 1853, after which Rose Hill Farm was sold to Thomas Glasscock. Glasscock, during his ownership of the farm, changed very little about the main house itself, but he did construct a sizeable slave’s quarters building at some point around the 1860s. The build date of some of the other structures are also unclear, but the granary, for instance, was most likely also constructed while Glasscock owned the property.
During the American Civil War, portions of the property were used for the war effort, willingly or not. For instance, the granary that was constructed was said to have been used by Confederate troops as a watchtower so that they could spy on the movements of Union soldiers from afar. Portions of the farm were raided by Union troops for meat and livestock, as well. After the war had passed, Rose Hill Farm quickly regained steam, recovering by 1870. Glasscock died in 1884, leaving the land to his granddaughter Tacie Glasscock Fletcher, who married George H. Slater in 1905. More additions were made to the property throughout the 1900s, and the Slater family retained ownership of the farm throughout the entire twentieth century. On June 15th, 1994, it was designated on the Virginia Landmark Register, and on August 25th, 1994, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.