The White Home was built in 1838 as one of the first homes in the town of Rock Hill. From 1838 to 2003, five generations of the White family lived in the house and left a major impact on the town. The White Home houses a collection of historic artifacts that tell their story as well as the story of a growing Rock Hill.
The White Home is one of the first houses built in Rock Hill. In 1838, George Pendleton White moved onto land that he subleased from the Black family and into a one room cabin. He would begin to build a larger house next door to the cabin but his untimely death of pneumonia in 1849 left the family home unfinished. His wife, Anne Hutchison White, completed the house but had to turn it into a boarding house to make money. She sat aside one room upstairs, which she called her Prophet's Chamber, in which traveling ministers could stay for free. She also connected the boarding house to the original cabin. Few changes were made to the house before the war, but during Reconstruction and after receiving an inheritance, she added on a Carpenter's Gothic addition. The house is open to the public today as a house museum and the operating base for Historic Rock Hill, a historic preservation nonprofit.