Confederate Arms Factory
This marker is located near the site of a historic munitions factory that produced small arms for the Confederate army between 1863 and 1864. During that time, the majority of the estimated four hundred breech-loading carbines produced at this location were utilized by Confederate soldiers who were recruited locally and served in units throughout North Carolina. However, a few of the weapons were also sold commercially. Local arms producer Jere H. Tarpley received the patent for his carbine from Confederate officials on February 14, 1863.
Backstory and Context
The carbine's dimensions are 8.5" H x 40" W x 2.25" D. Ammunition for this weapon included a .52 caliber round. The barrel was constructed out of unfinished brass and the stock was made out of wood. A major flaw with the carbine was the gas seal. Unable to prevent the gas from escaping. Every time the carbine was fired it created a bigger separation between the barrel and the breech-block.
Marker Inscription - Confederate Arms Factory - The Tarpley breech-loading carbine was manufactured by Tarpley, Carrett & Co. at the site of the old Pioneer Foundry, located 300 yards east. Jere A. Tarpley received a patent from the Confederate Government for the carbine of February 14, 1863. In partnership with J & F Garrett, he produced carbines for the state of North Carolina and the Confederate States of America. It is believed over 400 carbines were produced during 1863 and 1864. - Erected January 19, 1988 by Col. John Sloan Camp, 1290 Sons of Confederate Veterans.