This is the oldest black Methodist church in Texas and the state's second oldest black church.
In 1828 the Methodist Episcopal Church (North) was formed.
Then, in 1844, as a consequence of debate over slavery, the Methodist Episcopal
Church (South) was formed. As a result of this separation, Mount Zion Methodist
Church was organized. From 1844 to 1874, Rev. R. P. Brown was minister of Mount
Zion UMC. In 1878-80, Rev. George Sawyer served as pastor. In 1881, Rev. S.
Smith was assigned to Mount Zion as pastor. Several trustees purchased property
from M.J.J. Robertson for a church site: these trustees were Robert Blair,
Isaiah Crofford, Primus Crofford, and Henry White. The original site is
described as being on a hill in Dangerfield, a black community in West Belton.
The church house was located along Old Nolanville Rd. (currently FM 93). In
1893, Rev. R. H. Ponton and the church trustees relocated the congregation,
erecting a stucco building on the south bank of Nolan Creek.
On May 10, 1939, under the leadership of Rev. J.F. Muse, an
agreement was made between the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist
Protestant Church, forming the Methodist Episcopal Church of America. The name
of the congregation was later changed to Mount Zion United Methodist Church
about 1969 or early seventies.
In 1970, during the pastorate of Rev. Millard Rucker, plans
were finalized for an addition to the old stucco church structure. The addition
was completed on September 15, 1974, and the building was consecrated by
District Superintendent, Michael Pattison. In 1986, Rev. Clifton Howard, a
young man, served as pastor during the restoration of the old stucco building.
This work was completed, and the building was listed in the National Register of
Historic Places in 1990.