Framingham History Center - Edgell Memorial Library
The Edgell Memorial Library was built in 1872 as a monument to Civil War soldiers. The Victorian Gothic building was constructed with local funds, materials, and workers, and was the town's first free-standing public library. The community and the Framingham Historical Society prevented its demolition in 1963, when a new library was built. In 2011, the entire building, including the Gothic windows, were restored, and along with The Old Academy, is used as a cultural community center and curation facility by the Framingham History Center. It houses monthly programs, local history exhibitions (including a Civil War exhibit, and a museum shop .
Backstory and Context