The Sisterhood divided responsibilities of the house and hotel evenly amongst the members. In order to operate the hotel, jobs rotated between the members every few weeks. The jobs included cooking, serving in the dining room, laundry, cleaning rooms, washing dishes and entertaining guests by playing the piano and reading poetry. A menu from Christmas day of 1893 displays the quality of food served. The Central Hotel served beef, turkey, a variety of vegetables, multiple types of bread, three types of desserts, fruits, and coffee. The hotel continued to gain recognition for its service throughout Texas, and it soon became the Sisterhood’s most profitable enterprise. By 1891, the Central Hotel’s success warranted the need to combine their business endeavors into one. The Sisterhood created a corporation named the Central Hotel Company to hold the hotel’s property, which also included the small laundry. Twenty four women, all members of the commune, gained shares of the capital stock in the company.
Due to the financial success of the Central Hotel and other properties and farms, the Sisterhood donated money to various institutions in Belton. The Commonwealth donated five hundred dollars to the railroad, one hundred dollars to an opera house in Belton, and the Central Hotel was the home of the first public library in Belton. After seeing the need for a public library building, Martha McWhirter petitioned Andrew Carnegie for a donation to the cause. Carnegie consented and donated ten thousand dollars. The Carnegie library was built across the street from the Central Hotel. These generous acts made the Woman’s Commonwealth more well-known and promoted the hotel business as a whole.
In spite of the hotel’s triumphs, the Sisters decided in 1898 or 1899 to retire from business and move to Washington, D.C., so that they might pursue their growing interest in cultural activities. Using their savings of perhaps as much as $200,000, they bought a house in Mount Pleasant, Maryland. In Washington, where they incorporated in 1902 as the Woman's Commonwealth of Washington, D.C.
The Central Hotel was sold in February 1901 to S.F. Speer for over seventeen-thousand dollars. The economic boon provided by the Central Hotel made Belton citizens sad to see the Sisters leave their town.