On November 14, 1883, the Commissioners Court of Bell County authorized the issuance of bonds and levying a tax in the amount of $65,000.00 for the building of a third County Courthouse. The new courthouse was to be of sufficient size to supply courtrooms, jury rooms, offices for County officers and Justice of the Peace, as well as ample room for county records. Architect, Jasper N. Preston, was employed to design the structure. On March 3, 1884, bids were opened by the Court and Ben D. Lee, a local builder was awarded the contract in the amount of $64,965.00. The courthouse was designed in the Renaissance Revival style.
In 1950 the clock tower and goddess of justice were eliminated due to deterioration. In 1998 restoration of the courthouse began. The interior renovation was completed in November 1999. The statue, dome, and clock tower were replaced with replicas in December 1999, returning the Courthouse to near its original beauty. The Courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Buildings and on the State Archaeological Site Register.
A statue of Peter Hansborough Bell, the Governor who created Bell County and its namesake, stands on the Southwest corner of the Courthouse square. Governor Bell was a San Jacinto veteran, Mexican War veteran, Texas Ranger, Governor, Congressional Representative, and later a Colonel in the Confederacy.