Built during the Revolutionary War to guard the mouth of the Thames River, this fort also served to defend Connecticut from foreign invasion in the War of 1812. The current fort was constructed between 1839 and 1852-part of a major Congressional appropriation known to historians as the "Third System" of American coastal defenses. The area surrounding the historic fort has served as a US military installation for two centuries. For example, the US Coast Guard's first academy was located at Fort Trumbull from 1915 to 1932. During World War II, the fort as home to the Merchant Marines' Officers Training School.
Backstory and Context
Fort Trumbull became an important asset to the American military in their fight against Britain when the two nations were again at war in 1812. Connecticut men rebuilt the fort, this time with more formidable walls and guns that effectively prevented any British ships from entering the Thames River.