In 1956 the stadium was upgraded and expanded, featuring locker rooms, concession stands and lighting. In 1966, the Chicago Cubs held spring training and exhibition games here. The Angels and Indians played exhibition games a year later. The Los Angeles Rams football team used the facility as their practice site before they moved it to Anaheim. The stadium was upgraded again in 1992 and Long Beach State became the first long-term tenant in 1993.