The Staats Hospital Building was designed by John C. Norman, the first registered African American architect in West Virginia, in 1922. Originally, the structure housed the Glendale Lodge of the Knights of Pythias, the West Side’s first movie theatre, offices and retailers. The second and third floor of the structure was utilized as Staats Hospital from the early 1920s until 1982. The Staats Hospital Building began to deteriorate after the removal of Staats, and after being placed on the Preservation Alliance of West Virginia’s Endangered Properties List, it is currently in the process of being restored. Crawford Holdings purchased the building in 2014, and has used multiple grants to aid in the preservation process.
John C. Norman, West Virginia’s first registered African
American architect, designed the Staats Hospital Building in 1922 for the
Staats brothers. The four-story structure originally housed the Glendale Lodge
of the Knights of Pythias on the fourth floor, while the fraternity’s banquet
room, kitchen, serving room, reading room, pool and billard room, cigar counter
was located on the third floor. The West Side’s first theatre was located on
the building’s first floor, along with an ice cream parlor and a confectionary.
Before transitioning to a hospital, the first floor was also a temporary
location for Kelley’s Department Store and an A&P grocer. Dr. Harlan Staats
utilized the second and third floors as a 67-bed hospital starting in 1923. In
1941, the Glendale Lodge of the Knights of Pythias moved out of the Staats
Hospital Building. Staats Hospital closed in the early 1980s, and St. Francis
Hospital utilized the building as St. Francis West Health Care. In 2010, Staats
only had one occupant: Dr. Adla Adi, who filed bankruptcy the same year. Adi
had only utilized the first floor of the building while the remaining floors
began to deteriorate.
Adi had plans to raze the building in the early 2000s, but
somehow his plans fell through. In 2012, the Staats Hospital Building was
placed on the Preservation Alliance of West Virginia’s Endangered Properties
List, which raised awareness of the property that led to developer inquiries.
John and Tighe Bullock of then Bullock Properties LLC, began the purchasing
process from American Pride Properties in May of 2014. American Pride
Properties gained ownership of the building in 2010. The Bullocks had
previously restored two other structures on the West Side of Charleston prior
to starting the Staats project. After discussions of restoration with the
Charleston Urban Renewal Authority, the Bullocks secured a public/private partnership
that included a $230,000 secured loan from CURA, as well as a $155,000 loan
from the First State Bank of Charleston, a matching
grant of $78,000 from the West Virginia Historic Preservation Office, and
another matching grant of $20,000 from CURA to restore the roof. Crawford
Holdings was established by Tighe Bullock as the purchasing entity at the
closing of the sale.
Initial renovation efforts included cleaning out the trash
that had accumulated over the years, and restoring the roof. The structure of
the building has not deteriorated; many of the improvements will deal with the
interior, such as removing graffiti, restoring the tin ceilings, and repairing
water damage. Bullock has since taken on other projects on the West Side of
Charleston with intentions of improving the entire neighborhood, and has been
working with historic preservation consultant, Mike Gioulis, to ensure proper